Each governing body has a document known as the Instrument of Governance. This document sets out the type and number of governors who form the governing body at Bradway Primary School.The Instrument sets out that the Governing Body will be no more larger than 17 members and shall consist of:
- Up to six Parent Governors selected by election (or appointment if insufficient people stand for election) and drawn from parents and carers of children at the school.
- The Headteacher
- One elected Staff Governor, selected by election from teaching and support staff paid to work at the school
- One Local Authority Governor nominated by the Local Authority and accepted by the governing body (based on skills needs as defined by the Governing Body)
- Up to a maximum of eight Co-opted Governors (based on skills needs as defined by the Governing Body)
The role of the governor is to work as a team with other governors in order to monitor the effectiveness of the school in achieving its aims which are set out in the school prospectus. We all have a collective responsibility to oversee the effectiveness of the school. Governors are asked to monitor and evaluate either a curriculum area or another aspect of school life. Every governor is a member of the governing body. The overall purpose of the governing body is to help the school to provide the best possible education for all pupils.
The key functions of the governing body are to:
- set the aims and objectives for the school
- set the policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards the achievement of these aims and objectives
- be a ‘critical friend’ which means to support the head teacher whilst asking challenging questions concerning the above
It is not the responsibility of the governing body to take decisions on the day to day organisation, management and control of the school. That is the responsibility of the Headteacher and the senior leadership team. If you would like more information on how the governing body works then please do not hesitate to contact me through the school or using email@example.com.
Mrs Lucy Shaw (Chair of Governors)
Instrument of Governance:
Governors Meetings Attendance 2019/2020